Millennials are tech-savvy, ambitious, and on the lookout for jobs that encourage upward mobility. Most businesses are keeping their eyes open for these young professionals as well—and it makes sense, because by 2020, millennials will make up around 50% of the workforce. An online and mobile-driven generation, millennials in the job market look for opportunities wherever they can, with social media being a standout option for researching and even finding jobs. In fact, 62% of millennials visit company social media sites to get job information.
By leaning into social media, businesses will have a better shot at capturing the talent this younger generation has to offer. Social platforms are already the first places many people turn when it’s time to socialize, research products or services, and just look for general information. Popular sites like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn are filled with content—and content searchers—so it makes sense to take your search for qualified candidates to these platforms as well.
Now that you know millennials are looking you up online and researching you before applying, there are some more things you need to know in order to get the best, most qualified talent on board at your dealership:
- Millennials want to grow. Keep in mind many of them are just beginning in their careers, so focus on growth and learning opportunities offered at your dealership.
- Millennials are looking for flexibility. To the extent it’s possible, think of ways your dealership can creatively work with scheduling to meet the needs of this ambitious generation. They’ll work hard for you, but they also value their work-life balance.
- Millennials value culture and a sense of purpose. Don’t be shy about letting them know the great things your dealership is doing to help the community, reach out to those in need, and participate in team-building activities. They want to enjoy where they work and feel proud of the things their workplaces are doing.
- Millennials know it’s not all about the money. For them, it’s a balance of all the positive things—like potential future development—that come from working in a great place, so be sure to present all your dealership’s positive traits.
- Millennials are job shopping. They are looking for the perfect fit, and they’re not afraid to choose the jobs that offer the most well-rounded options, such as flexibility, benefits, growth opportunities, and even the best access to great technology.
Millennials are online, and they’re mobile. And that means they’re looking you up and researching you. Before they ever apply for the job, they already have plenty of details about your dealership and what you have to offer. For this reason, it’s important you recognize your online presence is impactful not only to your consumers, but also to potential future employees. Just like your consumers, today’s job candidates are looking for meaningful connections with the companies they choose.
Millennials are social-oriented, and they turn to Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for much of their information—and this means it’s time to think about posting job openings on these platforms as well. While new social sites pop up all the time, Facebook still gets the lion’s share of attention, with 88% of millennials turning to it for news and information. Instagram is a surprise player in this game for many employers, because it offers the opportunity to show off a coolness factor via workplace images. Consider posting pics of after-hours fun, charity events, and other things that can pique the interest of culture-driven millennials. And don’t forget sites like YouTube where you can show off some live “day-in-the-life” videos to prospective employees. The possibilities are endless, but the point is this: millennials are looking to social media to find, research, and decide on the companies that are right for them!
And Another Thing
Remember those old-school applications? (You don’t still have those, do you?) For younger, tech-savvy applicants, it’s important to link to your dealership’s career page AND offer an online application process. This makes it easy for qualified candidates to get more information about open positions and apply, and it also shows you speak their language by offering a modern, updated application system.
Millennials are quickly becoming the largest segment of our workforce, and you’ll be able to capture their attention by ensuring you have a strong social media presence. When you post your openings via social, you’ll end up with talented young professionals who are eager to get to work for your dealership. Recruiting millennials is essential. Not only are they energetic and eager to learn, they are the people who will be most likely to gain the trust of your millennial customers! When you get this generation on your side, you’ll be able to dominate the modern marketplace.
Author: Joey Little
Joey Little serves as Director of Digital and Social Engagement for AutoAlert. An expert in customer experience management, he educates automotive professionals at speaking engagements across the country. With results-driven advice and proven industry knowledge, he assists dealerships in reaching their audiences and increasing business via their social platforms.