Foster City, CA – This year’s insurance bargain is the Toyota Sienna LE, which ranks as the least expensive 2012 model vehicle to insure, according to Insure.com.
Meanwhile, the 2012 Audi R8 Spyder Quattro, a two-seat V10 convertible, has gunned its way to the top of the rankings as the most expensive vehicle to insure.
Insure.com’s annual list of national average auto insurance premiums provides drivers with a view of how more than 900 models compare with one another when it comes to the cost of insurance coverage. Insure.com also offers consumers a car insurance comparison tool that makes it easy to compare rates for particular vehicle models or types, such as SUVs.
A variety of factors can push a vehicle’s car insurance quote higher or lower, including the frequency of crashes for that model, the cost of repairs, the cost to insurers when a vehicle is declared a total loss and the cost of bodily injury claims.
“Minivans have always had a strong showing in our ‘least expensive’ rankings,” said Amy Danise, editorial director of Insure.com. “They regularly prove to be safe, economical vehicles. And, notably, we’re seeing pickup trucks back on the ‘least expensive’ list after an absence last year.”
The 2012 rankings also show Audi making a strong entrance onto the “most expensive to insure” list, which was primarily dominated last year by Mercedes and Porsche.
The rankings were based on average car insurance rates for a representative driver. For the sample driver used in the study, it would cost $2,273 more per year to insure the Audi sports car than it would to insure the Sienna minivan.
For more, see the most and least expensive 2012 vehicles to insure.
The least expensive 2012 vehicles to insure per year, according to Insure.com, are:
1. Toyota Sienna LE: $1,111
2. Toyota Sienna 4 cyl: $1,114
3. Jeep Patriot Sport: $1,116
4. Jeep Compass Sport: $1,118
5. GMC Sierra K1500 Regular Cab: $1,121
6. Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab: $1,125
7. Dodge Grand Caravan SXT: $1,129
8. Ford Escape XLS: $1,137
9. Toyota Sienna 6 cyl: $1,139
10. Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab: $1,143
11. Dodge Journey SXT: $1,143
12. Honda Odyssey LX: $1,146
13. Kia Sportage: $1,151
14. Hyundai Santa Fe GLS: $1,152
15. Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport: $1,154
16. Nissan Frontier S King Cab: $1,162
17. Nissan Frontier SV King Cab: $1,163
18. Hyundai Tucson GL: $1,166
19. Ford Escape XLT: $1,167
20. GMC Canyon: $1,167
The most expensive 2012 vehicles to insure per year, according to Insure.com, are:
1. Audi R8 Spyder Quattro Convertible: $3,384
2. Mercedes CL600 BI-T Coupe: $3,307
3. Mercedes S600 BI-T: $2,948
4. Audi R8 4.2 Quattro Coupe: $2,903
5. Porsche Panamera Turbo: $2,738
6. BMW 750i Hybrid: $2,701
7. Porsche 911 Turbo Convertible: $2,674
8. Porsche 911 Turbo S Convertible: $2,674
9. Mercedes CL65 AMG Coupe: $2,669
10. BMW 750Li Hybrid: $2,641
11. Mercedes SL63 AMG Convertible: $2,615
12. Mercedes CL63 AMG Coupe: $2,613
13. Jaguar XKR Supercharged Convertible: $2,585
14. Mercedes S63 AMG: $2,542
15. Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe: $2,532
16. Audi A8 L Quattro: $2,513
17. Mercedes SL550 Convertible: $2,458
18. Nissan GT-R Coupe Turbo: $2,457
19. BMW 750XI: $2,446
20. BMW 750i: $2,430
Insure.com commissioned Quadrant Information Services to provide auto insurance rates for more than 900 car models from six large carriers (Allstate, Farmers, GEICO, Nationwide, Progressive and State Farm) in 10 ZIP codes per state. Rates were not available for all models, particularly exotic cars.
Averages are based on insurance for a single, 40-year-old male who commutes 12 miles to work each day, with policy limits of 100/300/50 ($100,000 for injury liability for one person, $300,000 for all injuries and $50,000 for property damage in an accident) and a $500 deductible on collision and comprehensive coverage. The hypothetical driver has a clean record and good credit. The rate includes uninsured motorist coverage. Average rates are for comparative purposes. Actual rates will depend on individual driver factors.
Insure.com is a comprehensive resource of consumer insurance information and data. The website features articles, news and tools on auto, home, health and life insurance topics; life insurance quotes; and car insurance comparison tools. Consumers have access to free car insurance quotes and guidance on finding the right insurance policy, saving money and solving claims problems. Insure.com is owned and operated by QuinStreet, Inc. (NASDAQ: QNST), one of the largest Internet marketing and media companies in the world. QuinStreet is committed to providing consumers and businesses with the information they need to research, find and select the products, services and brands that best meet their needs. The company is a leader in visitor-friendly marketing practices. For more information, please visitQuinStreet.com.