Jumpstart Automotive Media looked at shopper interest trends three weeks AFTER Hurricane Harvey and Irma and compared that with the three weeks BEFORE the storms:
- Automotive shopping in Houston declined -21% the week Hurricane Harvey made landfall, but has almost fully recovered in the 3-weeks after (vs. 3-weeks before)
- Pickup Trucks have received a bounce in share of interest in the Houston post Hurricane Harvey (3-weeks post vs. 3-weeks before)
- Midsize Pickup Truck (+26%)
- Heavy Duty or 3/4 & 1-Ton Pickup 1 Ton Pickup Trucks (+11%)
- Full-Size Pickup Trucks (+7%)
- Automotive shopping recovery has been slower in Florida than Houston – Largest decline in Ft. Myers and Naples
- Ft. Myers-Naples (-43%) for 3-weeks after compared to 3-weeks before
- Tampa Bay (-28%)
- Miami, Orlando and Jacksonville (-25%)
- Trucks also saw a gain in shopper interest post Hurricane Irma –Led by Midsize Pickup Trucks
- Share of interest growth for Midsize Pickup Trucks +21%
- +14% share of interest growth for “Heavy Duty” 3/4 & 1-Ton Pickup 1 Ton Pickup Trucks
- Full-Size Pickups +3%
- Miami (+26%)
- Tampa Bay (+21%)
- Orlando (+20%)
- Ft. Myers-Naples (+20%)
- Jacksonville (+13)
- Midsize Pickup Truck share of interest across Florida
“Growth in interest for Midsize Pickup Trucks in Houston and Miami (post hurricane) makes sense since these trucks are more compatible with an urban lifestyle, as well as offering the necessary comfort, space, versatility and features today’s shopper looks for,” said Colin Thomas, senior analyst, strategic insights for Jumpstart.
Jumpstart Automotive Media, a division of Hearst Autos, offers high-impact and performance-driven marketing and advertising solutions that achieve optimum results. An industry thought-leader known for its in-depth shopping reports, Jumpstart connects automotive marketers with the largest, high-performing audience of car shoppers and enthusiasts through partnerships with: Car and Driver, U.S. News Best Cars, J.D. Power Cars, NADAguides, Autoweek.com, Autobytel, Autolist.com, Daily News Autos, LeftLaneNews.com, CarSoup, CarBuzz, and CarStory.
Author: Digital Dealer
Digital Dealer exists to help dealers and their managers sell more vehicles more profitably by creating the best live events and media in the industry.