CHERRY HILL, N.J. — Subaru of America Facebook fans will take the wheel on Aug. 6, and select two charities to join three others for the automaker’s 2012 “Share the Love” event. Subaru has donated nearly $20 million to charitable organizations through its “Share the Love” sales event over the last four years. This year’s fifth-annual event is expected to deliver $5 million in donations to five charitable organizations.
For the second year in a row, Subaru will invite Facebook fans to cast their vote to decide the final two charities to join the 2012 “Share the Love” roster. Voting is open Aug. 6-26 and fans may vote daily.
“‘Share the Love’ has always been about giving back to our communities in which we live and work,” said Subaru Director of Marketing Communications, Alan Bethke. “Subaru ‘Share the Love’ charitable partners have always reflected the values and ideals of our owners. Empowering our digital demographic via Facebook is a natural extension for Share the Love.”
The “Share the Love” event donates $250 for every new Subaru vehicle sold or leased from Nov. 21 through Jan. 2, up to $5 million total, and has donated nearly $20 million to charitable causes since the program’s inception four years ago. The other recipient organizations that will benefit from this year’s program include the ASPCA® (The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals), Make-A-Wish®, and Meals On Wheels Association of America®.
2012 “People’s Choice” Charitable Candidates
Facebook fans can vote for one of the following charities to join the 2012 “Share the Love” event:
- Alzheimer’s Association®: The Alzheimer’s Association works to eliminate Alzheimer’s disease through the advancement of research and to provide and enhance care and support for all affected.
- American Forests: American Forests protects and restores forests, which create habitat for wildlife, clean our air and water and preserve the health of our planet for the benefit of all.
- First Book: First Book provides new, high-quality books to kids in need, helping them to succeed in school and in life.
- Leave No Trace: Leave No Trace educates Americans of all ages how to enjoy the outdoors responsibly to ensure the long-term health of our parks, trails and waterways.
- Special Olympics: Special Olympics provides year-round sports training and athletic competition for people with intellectual disabilities, unleashing the human spirit through the transformative power and joy of sport everyday around the world.
- USO: The USO is a private, nonprofit organization that provides critical support to forward-deployed troops, military families, wounded warriors and their families and the families of the fallen.
2012 “Share The Love” Charitable Beneficiaries
The following 2011 organizations return to join the 2012 Subaru “Share the Love” charitable event:
- The ASPCA® (The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals®): is the first animal welfare organization in North America and works to provide effective means for the prevention of cruelty to animals. The ASPCA is a national leader in the areas of anti-cruelty, community outreach and animal health services.
Total “Share the Love” donations to date: $5,615,683*
- Make-A-Wish: grants the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions. It has granted more than 220,000 wishes in the United States since 1980.
Total “Share the Love” donations to date: $1,275,014**
- Meals On Wheels Association of America®: provides national leadership to end senior hunger, supporting local Meals On Wheels programs that collectively serve over one million nutritious meals each day to seniors in need.
Total “Share the Love” donations to date: $4,376,428*
“We created the ‘Share the Love’ event to celebrate our owners and their passion for volunteerism and community involvement. And our charity partners continue to make the event better and better each year,” said Brian Johnson, national advertising manager, Subaru of America, Inc.
- Fans can cast their ballots at sharethelove.subaru.com/facebook.
- For more information on the Subaru “Share the Love” event or to find a Subaru dealer visit www.subaru.com.
*Total reflects four years of Share the Love event participation.
**Total reflects one year of Share the Love event participation.
About Subaru of America, Inc.
Subaru of America, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. of Japan. Headquartered in Cherry Hill, N.J., the company markets and distributes Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive vehicles, parts and accessories through a network of more than 600 dealers across the United States. Subaru boasts the most fuel efficient line-up of all-wheel drive products sold in the market today based on Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) fuel economy standards. All Subaru products are manufactured in zero-landfill production plants and Subaru of Indiana Automotive Inc. is the only U.S. automobile production plant to be designated a backyard wildlife habitat by the National Wildlife Federation. For additional information, visit www.subaru.com.